The University of Pennsylvania Libraries is seeking a Senior Conservator to lead its conservation efforts in its newly built conservation laboratory.
Under the direction of the MacDonald Curator of Preservation, the Senior Conservator is responsible for care and treatment of the holdings of the University of Pennsylvania Libraries, with an emphasis on special collections. The incumbent will determine proper conservation treatment practices for the collections at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries. The incumbent will carry out those treatments and supervise and direct the work of conservation technicians and students. Working with the MacDonald Curator of Preservation, the incumbent will develop and implement conservation plans for the long-term sustainability for the Libraries’ holdings. Working with the curatorial staff, the Senior Conservator will play a central role in determining priorities for the treatment of materials.
A Master’s Degree or more and at least 3 years of professional experience in book conservation or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Five+ years of experience preferred and at least three years supervisory experience required.
Substantial experience working in a research library with special collections.
- Advanced knowledge of conservation ethics, principles, techniques, and procedures related to special collections materials as demonstrated by a portfolio of work.
- Advanced knowledge of chemistry, the mechanism of deterioration of library materials, book and printing history, and descriptive bibliography.
- Demonstrated ability to identify causes of damage, select appropriate treatments, and perform and document a broad range of conservation treatments on library materials.
- Knowledge of the organization and the administrative policies and procedures of libraries and archives.
- Ability to work independently and with others.
- Well-developed organizational, research, oral and written communication, analytical, and supervisory skills.
Please see the official posting for application instructions.
Filed under: Job Postings |